Manager / Tech Lead - Server Engineering
We are looking for a Manager / Tech Lead - Server Engineering in a Massive product startup, fully remote.
Further - more, in the Q&A.
Massive, founded in 2018, is building a new business model for the internet. Massive allows users to pay for apps and services with their spare computing power.
Massive Computing, IncNamed Top 100 Early Stage Company To Work For in 2022
What are we doing?
We built a new business model for the internet. The Massive SDK is an alternative to current online monetization. The SDK lets developers charge their users for premium services and in-app items with a little bit of their unused computing resources, rather than ads or money.
The SDK works by analyzing available resources across Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices and making that supply accessible to computing needs on the demand side, including scientific calculations, cryptocurrency mining, Monte Carlo simulations, and bandwidth sharing.
Why are we doing this?
The startup’s goal is to build a two-sided marketplace for compute power. That means lots more users offering up a slice of their computing power, future acceptance of mobile devices, and a broader partner list.
Why join Massive?
- We’re solving some of the biggest networking and infrastructure challenges to help re-decentralized the internet. You’ll work on novel projects that grow your expertise and your innovation is welcome.
- Work when you want, from where you want. Our northstar is the quality and impact of work. We encourage finding the smartest ways to solve problems, rather than the most arduous.
- We’re a fully distributed team. Work from wherever you want (as long as you have good bandwidth).
- Our leadership team is comprised of serial entrepreneurs. We’ve built successful companies and aim to create a relaxed environment where engineers can focus on the projects that keep them happy and challenged at work.
What professional skills are important to us?
- 7–10+ years of relevant experience with server computing, demonstrated curiosity, and continuous learning
- Very experienced in leadership team roles using Linux and processes, shell, Docker, CI, git, and Jira.
- Strong command of code development and development practices (e.g., unit testing) in multiple popular languages; must be comfortable in Python 3 and Node.js
- Experienced and comfortable with SQL databases (any)
- Experienced and comfortable with the major internet protocols
- Strong command of reasonable security practices for server computing
- Strong command of service scaling
- Strong command of buy vs. build, and how to choose and manage open source and vendors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, well-organized and helps others get more organized
- Startup mentality and extreme agility
What is the area of responsibility?
- Hands-on technical leader and engineering line manager for a small team, covering all things server, including server-specific code development, DevOps/CI/CD, security, scaling, failover and disaster recovery, databases, and reporting systems; not responsible for IT, desktop, client, overall engineering, or HR policy/tools, etc. Share joint responsibility for recruiting and staff career development
- As a manager, working with engineers to ensure high quality and timely delivery; running post-mortems
- As a tech lead, working with stakeholders on design and implementation of new functionality. As a tech lead, you are expected to personally “own” one component and write production code, while balancing this work with leadership responsibilities.
What to do in the project?
Various data collection and reports, scale up reporting system (PostgreSQL on AWS), improve monitoring, disaster recovery plan, security plan, portal for partners. Improvements to AWS lambda functions.
The main stack: Node.js, Python, AWS.
Why was the position opened?
Our company is growing, and experienced specialists are needed.
Team size and structure?
Team for desktop apps, team for server (new), half dozen engineers, in plans growing to 10, mobile engineer, one peer-manager to handle the client
Who are the people who make the technical decisions on the project?
- Jason Grad, Co-founder and CEO: Top-1% Yelp sales rep and founding member of Yelp’s national sales team; founder of 2 successfully acquired venture-backed startups, Cheerful and RCVR
- Brian Kennish, Co-founder and CTO: Pre-IPO Google engineer, on the teams that launched Google’s first 3 APIs then the Chrome browser; developer of 7 subsequent apps with 1M+ active users, including Disconnect (privacy software available on ~1B users’ computers) and Adblock Fast (an ad blocker with 10M+ users)
- Jael Taillefer, Director of Engineering: For the past 13 years, using modern stacks, he’s scoped, built, and architected highly scalable solutions to meet the demand for more speed and traffic
Do you need English, and at what level?
Intermediate and higher. The primary language of communication in the company is English.
- Is there a trial period, and how long does it last? - Trial period lasts 3 months.
- Overtime, how often? - We don’t have a special policy about overtime, as long as your job gets done.
- What is the work schedule? - Flexible working hours. We have a couple of meetings in a week at 7-8 p.m Kyiv time.
- Is it possible to work remotely? - It's a fully remote job.
- A number of vacation days? - Unlimited sick and vacation days (with at least two weeks notice provided)
- Is there a prospect of business trips, and where? - Not foreseen soon.
- Is relocation outside of Ukraine possible? - Not provided.
- Social package (medical insurance, other): Stock options, Health benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401K Retirement Plan, $50,000 Life Insurance, $500 WFH reimbursement, ClassPass Membership, Opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects
- Is there a test task? - No.
- Interview in English? - Yes.
How many stages of the interview?
- Resume review, quick written questionnaire, phone screen (30 min)
- Team interview incl live coding (60-90 min)
- Interview with CEO (30 min)
If you like the vacancy, please send us your CV.