Director of Engineering
We are looking for Director of Engineering to join Massive, the Top 100 Early Stage Company To Work For in 2022.
Below - further details in the Q&A.
What are we doing?
We built a new business model for the internet. The Massive SDK is an alternative to current online monetization. The SDK lets developers charge their users for premium services and in-app items with a little bit of their unused computing resources, rather than ads or money.
The SDK works by analyzing available resources across Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices and making that supply accessible to computing needs on the demand side, including scientific calculations, cryptocurrency mining, Monte Carlo simulations, and bandwidth sharing.
Why are we doing this?
The startup’s goal is to build a two-sided marketplace for compute power. That means lots more users offering up a slice of their computing power, future acceptance of mobile devices, and a broader partner list.
Why join Massive?
- We’re solving some of the biggest networking and infrastructure challenges to help re-decentralize the internet. You’ll work on novel projects that grow your expertise ,and your innovation is welcome.
- Work when you want, from where you want. Our northstar is the quality and impact of work. We encourage finding the smartest ways to solve problems, rather than the most arduous.
- We’re a fully distributed team. Work from wherever you want (as long as you have good bandwidth).
- Our leadership team is comprised of serial entrepreneurs. We’ve built successful companies and aim to create a relaxed environment where engineers can focus on the projects that keep them happy and challenged at work.
What professional skills are important to us?
- 10+ years shipping commercial software for 3+ companies and used by millions of users
- Experience shipping installed software, ideally Windows desktop software
- Experience working in early-stage startups
- Experience prototyping your own applications and APIs
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Strong analytical skills
- Self-starter with excellent time management and organization skills
- Strong technical skills in Windows application development, distributed systems and the web (all).
- Must love code
- Experienced managing distributed teams where you have never met your teammates and have developed strong bonds with them
- Fluent English
Nice to have
- Experience with Jira
- Experience with extremely agile development, i.e. not tied to rigid schedules or sprints
- Experience with security threats and best practices
- Experience with online advertising mechanics
What to do in the project?
- Provide leadership, management, and technical vision for the software engineering team.
- Represent team in meetings and documents with executive team and partners.
- Develop, implement, and optimize all software engineering plans and processes.
- Provide suitable decision making for product development and software engineering maintaining sensitivity to constraints and business needs.
- Direct and manage software engineering resource allocation, schedules and budget.
- Manage and oversee joint development with 3rd party vendors along with outsourced development.
- Stimulate hiring, training, performance reviews and career plans for software engineering team.
- Present employee development, mentoring, coaching and team building.
- Remain current with technology trends and industry best practices, particularly for the platforms and tools and processes that we use.
- Not expected to contribute individually. Expected to effectively manage and set policy for both managers and individual contributors. Expected to develop and maintain positive interactions with leaders and staff in other departments.
Who are the people who make the technical decisions on the project?
- Jason Grad, Co-founder and CEO: Top-1% Yelp sales rep and founding member of Yelp’s national sales team; founder of 2 successfully acquired venture-backed startups, Cheerful and RCVR
- Brian Kennish, Co-founder and CTO: Pre-IPO Google engineer, on the teams that launched Google’s first 3 APIs then the Chrome browser; developer of 7 subsequent apps with 1M+ active users, including Disconnect (privacy software available on ~1B users’ computers) and Adblock Fast (an ad blocker with 10M+ users)
- Is there a trial period, and how long does it last? - Trial period lasts 3 months.
- Overtime, how often? - We don’t have a special policy about overtime, as long as your job gets done.
- What is the work schedule? - Flexible working hours. We have a couple of meetings in a week at 9-10 a.m PT.
- Is it possible to work remotely? - It's a fully remote job.
- A number of vacation days? - Unlimited PTO and sick days (with at least two weeks notice provided)
- Is there a prospect of business trips, and where? - Not foreseen soon.
- Is relocation possible? - Not provided.
- Benefits: stock options, health insurance (medical, dental, vision), 401K Retirement Plan, $50,000 Life Insurance, $500 WFH reimbursement, ClassPass Membership/sport activities
The hiring process:
- Is there a test task? - No.
- Interview in English? - Yes.
How many stages of the interview?
As the role is of high degree of influence the process includes:
- Intro call with recruiter - 60 min
- Interview with Adam, Acting Director of Engineering/Investor&Advisor - 60 min
- Interview with founders/leads/other ICs - tbc
- Reference checks
If you like the vacancy, please send us your CV.